- Posted by: Joyce Watson MS
- Category: Feature
More than 150 people turned out to support the campaign to keep Milford Haven Coastguard Station open at 12pm on The Rath.
Speakers supporting the campaign addressed the assembled crowd, and a minutes silence was held for those who lost their lives at sea.
Sandra Parker, from Tenby, said: “I feel really strongly about this Haven, because the coast is my home. I know the perils that are here.
“When you think of the dangers on the sea and the Sea Empress disaster, and how valuable local knowledge is, just the thought of not having these amenities anymore is suicidal.”
Pembrokeshire Labour Party member Ken Davies added: “I support the campaign to keep local jobs and protect the coastline. If they took the jobs away then we are going to be worse off than this time last year. It is all to do with the cuts. Taking jobs away means risking lives.”
Mid and West Wales AM Joyce Watson said: “My concern here is that they are putting the cart before the horse.
“Pulling the provision from Milford Haven would not only jeopardise good jobs but also put the whole of west Wales at risk.”
A procession of campaigners later met Sir Alan Massey at the entrance of the coastguard station.
Read the full report in Thursday’s Mercury, including an interview with Sir Alan Massey.