- Posted by: Joyce Watson MS
- Category: Feature
The Welsh Government is seeking legal advice following Pembrokeshire council’s latest response to child safety criticisms, it has been revealed.
Last week (Thursday, 21 June) the leader of Pembrokeshire council, Jamie Adams, responded to a letter from Welsh government ministers who had “grave concerns” over the council’s child safeguarding procedures.
Answering questions in the Assembly on Wednesday (27 June), the Deputy Minister for Children, Gwenda Thomas, confirmed that the Welsh Government had received Mr Adams’s response and said she was taking “further legal advice” on the matter.
Mrs Thomas was responding to Pembrokeshire-based AM Joyce Watson who asked for an update on the latest situation at the troubled local authority.
Labour Mid and West Wales AM Joyce Watson said:
“People in Pembrokeshire are anxious to receive an update following Jamie Adams’s response to the Government last Thursday.
“Constituents rightly expect local leaders to be held to account if they are found to be failing in the protection of children.”
Mrs Thomas responded saying that the Government was “considering options for action,” but she would not provide an update as the Welsh Government was still receiving “legal advice”, she said:
“We have taken advice from our inspectorates and we have taken advice from and met with our board. Subsequently, the Minister for Education and Skills and I met as Ministers and we have asked for further legal advice. We are considering options for action and we will make a statement when we are ready.
“There are continuing concerns and we have sought legal advice.
“Once we have that legal advice, we will decide how best to act.”