- Posted by: Joyce Watson MS
- Category: Feature
Opponents of cuts to bus services in Burry Port have delivered their petition to the Welsh Assembly.
On Wednesday (2 July, 2014), Labour Assembly Members Joyce Watson and Keith Davies greeted a delegation of campaigners including local councillors Pat Jones and John James at the Assembly’s Senedd in Cardiff Bay.
The 572-signature petition calls on bus operator First Cymru to “reinstate with immediate effect” the direct service from Burry Port to Prince Philip Hospital.
Mid and West Wales AM,Joyce Watson, who is a member of the Assembly’s petitions committee, said:
“I was very pleased to receive the petition and have an opportunity to discuss campaigners’ concerns about bus services in the area. While other routes have been cut, the loss of the direct run to Prince Philip has prompted local people to take action.
“Working with my committee colleagues, we will consider the petition to decide what action to take.”
Llanelli AM, Keith Davies has given his backing to the campaign to maintain a direct bus link between Burry Port and our local hospital. Keith Davies met with senior management of First Cymru earlier this year to hear about changes to services affecting the Llanelli area.
Keith Davies AM said:
“Increasing cuts to public spending due to the continuing austerity measures meted out by the Westminister Government are now having a devastating impact on public services here in Llanelli. Public transport is being affected by these cuts too.
“However, we must look at maintaining services that local communities rely upon. The petition demonstrates that bus users in Burry Port and Pembrey want a direct connection with our local hospital at Prince Phillip. Cllrs Pat Jones and John James have rallied the community and I support their call for a direct link. I will follow the progress of the petition and continue to meet with the Bus Company and representatives of the Welsh Government to make the case for local services.”