- Posted by: Joyce Watson MS
- Category: Feature
Assembly Member Joyce Watson has urged the Welsh Government to “keep people in the loop” on child safety developments in Pembrokeshire.
Last week (12 June), the Welsh government issued Pembrokeshire council with a final warning following reports that the local authority has not done enough to improve child safety arrangements since a panel of experts was appointed to oversee matters last September.
The decision to assign a special ministerial board followed warnings from school and social services inspectors.
Speaking in the Assembly this afternoon, Mrs Watson called for an update following an emergency meeting between Pembrokeshire council leader Jamie Adams and Welsh Ministers last Wednesday (13 June).
The Pembrokeshire-based AM also revealed that Pembrokeshire council has been given until this Friday (22 June) to respond to the Ministers’ criticisms.
Mrs Watson said:
“I thank the Minister for Education and Skills and the Deputy Minister for Children and Social Services for the written statement issued last Tuesday on safeguarding arrangements for children in Pembrokeshire.
“Following that statement, the Minister and the Deputy Minister summoned the leader of Pembrokeshire Council for a meeting here last Wednesday, and I understand that Pembrokeshire council has until Friday to respond to the Welsh Government’s very serious concerns.”
Addressing the Leader of the House, Jane Hutt AM, Mrs Watson said people in Pembrokeshire should be kept “fully appraised of the latest situation.” She asked:
“Could I ask that the Minister for Education and Skills and the Deputy Minister for Children and Social Services bring forward a further statement updating members and members of the public on the latest situation following Friday’s deadline?”
Responding, Mrs Hutt assured Mrs Watson that once the response has come back from Pembrokeshire, the Ministers will make a further statement to the Assembly.